Thai Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
There are lots of ingredients and this soup takes time to prepare. But it's delicious and worth it!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped into large chunk
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 2 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ¾ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves and stems, plus additional ½ cup chopped for garnish
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¾ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 4-6 oz boneless chicken breast, cut into ¼" strips
- 2 tbsp Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- t tsp brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno sliced into rings optional
- 1 small tomato seeded and diced for garnish
- ½ cup freshly shaved coconut or unsweetened coconut toasted for garnish
- In a large heavy-bottom pot over high heat, combine chicken stock, garlic, ginger, curry paste, coriander, cumin, peppercorns and cilantro. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain broth over a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids.
- Return broth to pot; add coconut milk, shallots, mushrooms and chicken.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and jalapeño, if desired; stir until sugar is dissolved, then add mixture to soup.
- Garnish with tomato, coconut shavings and cilantro. Serve hot.